The day your affair was discovered will be one of those days you aren’t likely to ever forget. With the secret you worked hard to hide now out in the open, your two worlds have collided, and you are left to deal with the great emotional damage you caused to those you care about most. It is an intensely painful time for everyone.
- The excitement you feel in any new relationship is temporary. It was true of your marriage and it will be true of your relationship with your affair partner as well. What will be left after the new wears off?
- Affairs are created in fantasy worlds where two people become obsessed with being together without the mundane getting in the way. What happens when the limerence fades?
- Be careful of trying to compare the two. It’s unfair. You know all of your spouse’s warts because you’ve lived with them. They know yours too. Your affair partner has warts (we all do), you’ve just not likely seen them all yet.
- It’s quite possible you are judging your spouse too harshly right now. Their flaws have probably expanded in your eyes. It’s one of the ways our human nature allows us to justify our infidelity.
- Stable and familiar seem pretty boring next to shiny and new but as the song says “not all that glitters is gold”.
- Statistics say that second marriages fail at much higher rates than first marriages.
You are cheating because you are pursuing self-gratification over your promise to love, honor, and cherish your spouse.
If you are struggling to make your relationship work, we offer online coaching to meet your virtual needs.
Contact us for information on how The Marriage Place can help you strengthen your relationship.Contact Us